Friday, June 12, 2009

Early Father's Day Gift

Xander is off on an adventure in a couple of days.  He has the opportunity to guide a white water rafting trip on the Colorado River, in the Grand Canyon, with the company he used to work for.  When he asked me if it was "o.k" for him to go on the trip - I could not say NO, of course.  I have been on a couple of those trips and know how special, breathtaking, life altering and beautiful those trips are.  I am glad he can go.
However, he is now leaving a couple of other people in the family who are very sad and who do not understand why daddy is going away for 3 weeks (oh, yes, this is a 15 day trip with a couple days on both ends.)  Elliot the other day said he was , "canceling the trip" and has been wanting to spend every minute with Xander.
Elliot really wanted to make Xander a gift before he goes.  We went to a local craft store where he picked out a wood frame to paint.  Elliot had a vision and went with it.  I did not help him with any of it and I am so proud of the job he did.  Elliot was focused, patient and meticulous while painting.  I was painting at the same time, but on canvas, so Elliot asked to paint a picture for Xander as well.  His love of blueberries came out with his version of "the blueberry bushes in our backyard, because daddy and I lOVE blueberries."  
Elliot loves his daddy.



Painting the frame
Opening the gifts
                The finished product.  
The framed middle picture is "me and daddy                                                                                                     with our swimming flippers on."
Blueberry bushes on canvas

No comments: